Wednesday, June 2, 2010

So what sort of equipment does a photographer need these days?

I often get asked by guests with a photographic interest at weddings what sort of software and equipment I use so I’ve decided to write a short blog on it here.
Having the best professional grade equipment though is just half the package.  You also have to have the qualification, experience, the ‘eye’, post production skills and the personality to engage with people to have any hope of becoming a successful photographer.  
So, back to equipment.  Most photographers fall into the Nikon or Canon category.  I’m a Canon user and I have to say Canon gear has never once let me down.
My main equipment includes;
Canon 1Ds mark III
Canon 5D mark II
Canon G10 (always in the pocket..!)
A range of Canon and Metz flashguns 
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L USM
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II
Canon TS-E 24 mm f/3.5L
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon Extender EF 2x II
Sigma 105mm Macro f/2.8 EX DG 
Manfrotto monopod and tripods
Lastolite grey card and tri-grip reflectors
A large piece of black cardboard..!
A range of Apple Mac computers including a MacPro for all the heavy duty editing.
Adobe Lightroom 2.  (I also have Aperture but I much prefer Lightroom.)
Adobe photoshop CS4
OnOne software
Photomax Pro for High Dynamic Range work
Portrait Professional
TAVE for keeping track of everything every where I go.
Then for the studio I have a range of different powered Bowens studio heads, boom arms, softboxes, umbrellas, softlite reflectors, diffusers, backgrounds, posing stools, chairs etc.. etc...
2 mobile phones and a sat nav also come in handy...
And most important of all is my trusted talented assistant, Siobhan..!